Next Round of Air Force Civilian Cuts May Be Coming Soon
- November 20, 2011
A second round of civilian personnel cuts throughout the Air Force reportedly will be announced before the end of the year or early next year, according to the Warner Robins Patriot.
When it announced earlier this month that it was eliminating 9,000 civilian positions as part of a reorganization intended to freeze the civilian workforce at fiscal 2010 levels, the Air Force said it would begin identifying 4,500 additional civilian positions to trim. The service said its effort to streamline management and overhead is ongoing, but it did not specify when it would announce the second wave of cuts.
“The Air Force remains over fiscal year 2010 manpower levels and will continue to develop enterprise-wide solutions to achieve our goals with minimal impact to mission,” Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, the service’s manpower, organization and resources director, said at the time.
The Patriot also reported that an effort by members of the congressional delegations of Georgia, Oklahoma and Utah to reverse a reorganization of the service’s three air logistics centers failed to make any headway last week. Air Force Secretary Michael Donley “abruptly cancelled a Wednesday meeting with the legislators citing a ‘schedule conflict,’” it said.