Pentagon Expected to Roll Out FY 2013 Budget Early
- November 30, 2011
The Defense Department likely will unveil key components of the fiscal 2013 budget before the regular February deadline as part of an effort to contain the critical response from Congress the proposal’s steep spending cuts are expected to generate, reported the Hill newspaper.
A briefing covering the department’s strategic review of its roles and missions, along with the budget request, could come as early as December, but more likely will occur in January, according to sources cited by the newspaper.
Last month, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the five-year, future years defense program released in February would include between $250 billion and $260 billion in spending cuts, a little more than half of the $450 billion in savings slated to occur under the first round of cuts called for in August’s deal to raise the nation’s debt ceiling. The Hill reported, however, that the FY 2013 budget will include only $25 billion in cuts, about half of what would be expected if the target for savings were spread proportionally across the five-year budget.
One thing the department’s budget almost certainly will not include is any hint that it could cope with the $500 billion in automatic spending cuts triggered by the congressional debt supercommittee’s failure to reach a deal over deficit reduction. Last week, a DOD spokesman said budget officials are not making contingency plans for the looming sequester.