Virginia Officials Opt against Seeking Injunction to Stop BRAC Move
- April 27, 2011
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) and Fairfax County officials have decided not to seek a federal injunction to stop the move of 6,400 defense workers to a site in Alexandria, Va., despite last week’s conclusion by DOD’s inspector general that the Army used faulty data to justify its plan to make the Mark Center their new home.
McDonnell said Tuesday he would ask the Pentagon to voluntarily delay the move until the state can complete highway upgrades needed to alleviate significant traffic disruptions in northern Virginia. Similarly, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors concluded Tuesday that it lacks the legal authority to challenge the move. Prince William County also has declined to join a lawsuit blocking or delaying the move, reported the Washington Examiner. The city of Alexandria, the other jurisdiction most directly affected by the BRAC relocation, still is considering its legal options, the paper said.
After the inspector general released its findings last week, Rep. Jim Moran (D) urged the state and local officials to take legal action to delay the transfer past the Sept. 15 implementation deadline. The report found that the Army’s proposed traffic mitigations “may not be sufficient” to support its finding that relocating the DOD employees would not significantly affect surrounding roadways.
A Moran spokesman said the lawmaker would continue to look for ways to mitigate the expected increase in traffic, according to a spokesman.