image description

Posts Tagged ‘BRAC’

Cleanup Advances at George AFB

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

As cleanup efforts at the former George Air Force Base in Victorville, Calif., near 75 percent completion, an Air Force spokeswoman said some chemical remnants may be detectable for 500 more years. Of 213 contaminated sites at the 5,062-acre property, 171 have been remediated. To date, the Air Force has transferred 4,196 acres at the installation, now the Southern California Logistics Airport, to local authorities …

Virginia Should Advocate for New BRAC, Commission Recommends

  • March 6, 2014
  • comments: 0

The commonwealth of Virginia stands to gain from a new round of base closures and, as a result, it should advocate for the Pentagon to hold another BRAC, according to a 10-member commission created last year by then-Gov. Bob McDonnell (R). “A BRAC will provide DOD the opportunity to achieve a number of efficiencies by consolidating existing activities located outside the commonwealth with existing installations and activities already in the commonwealth …

Cleanup Funding For Past BRAC Rounds Would Take Hit under FY’15 Proposal

  • March 6, 2014
  • comments: 0

Funding to clean up installations closed during previous BRAC rounds would fall 40 percent to $270.1 million in fiscal 2015, under DOD’s latest budget request. If approved by Congress, the recommendation would continue a steep drop in funding for past base closure rounds since FY 2013. That year, Congress provided $759.6 million for cleanup and other closure costs associated with the five rounds of BRAC. This year, lawmakers allocated $451.4 million for the BRAC account …

Opposition Mounts on Hill to BRAC Request

  • March 5, 2014
  • comments: 0

The Pentagon’s request to hold a round of base closures in 2017 is having trouble gaining traction among lawmakers, a similar reception to its requests for additional BRAC rounds in each of the past two years. The administration’s proposal stands little chance of going forward this year, Carl Levin (D-Mich.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Wednesday following his panel’s hearing on DOD’s fiscal 2015 budget request. “I just don’t think we’ve seen the value of it, including the last BRAC …

Niagara Falls Support Group Promotes New Missions for Air Reserve Station

  • March 4, 2014
  • comments: 0

Last week’s trip to Washington by the local support group for Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station to meet with the congressional delegation for western New York advanced the organization’s effort to promote new missions for the base. The Niagara Military Affairs Council pushed for the return of eight C-130 cargo aircraft to Niagara Falls from a base in Minnesota, where they were sent from New York several years ago, reported the Buffalo News. Drone-control units are scheduled to be installed at the air reserve station next year, but the council wants drones to be based at Niagara Falls. “That’s how you get the manning,” Jeffrey Glatz, Niagara County manager, told the paper. This spring construction is set to begin on a C-130 flight simulator. When it is completed next year, about 400 service members will visit annually for training …

Senate Readiness Chair Maintains Resistance to BRAC Request

  • March 4, 2014
  • comments: 0

New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D), chairman of the Armed Services’ subcommittee responsible for installations policy, last week reiterated her opposition to the Pentagon’s request to conduct a new round of base closures. Last week, during his preview of the fiscal 2015 budget request — which is scheduled to be formally unveiled today — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said DOD will ask Congress for permission to hold a BRAC round in 2017, the third consecutive year the Obama administration has requested additional base closures. “Another BRAC round would have serious consequences for our shipyard, our workers, and our economy in New Hampshire …

Republican Defense Leaders Reject Talk of Reversing Spending Cuts

  • February 27, 2014
  • comments: 0

Pentagon officials’ hopes for securing relief from caps on defense spending in fiscal 2015 and beyond stand no chance of being realized, Sen. James Inhofe (Okla.) and Rep. Buck McKeon (Calif.) told reporters Thursday. In addition to rebuffing prospects for providing relief from sequester cuts scheduled to constrain defense spending through FY 2021, the top defense policy Republicans in Congress rejected the notion that lawmakers would agree to raise sufficient revenue in FY 2015 to pay for a $26 billion investment fund President Obama will propose as part of next year’s budget request …

Crystal City Developer Pins Reuse Plans on Tech Workers

  • February 27, 2014
  • comments: 0

The largest owner of real estate in the Northern Virginia community affected by the Pentagon’s decision to abandon leased space during the last BRAC round is looking to metropolitan Washington tech workers to fill its empty buildings in Crystal City. One initiative Vornado Realty Trust plans is to invest in the $50 million Crystal Tech Fund, which shortly will open a facility in Crystal City for investing in early-stage tech companies …

BRAC Round Would Allow DOD to Downsize Civilian Workforce, Official Says

  • February 26, 2014
  • comments: 1

The Defense Department has trimmed its civilian and contractor workforce as part an initiative to streamline its headquarters, but a significant reduction in the number of its civilian workers will require a new round of base closures, Acting Deputy Secretary Christine Fox said Tuesday. This year officials cut operating costs by 20 percent at headquarters offices across all services, agencies and combatant commands, saving about $5 billion. Much of the civilian workforce is employed outside Washington at installations, depots and shipyards, though, Fox said …

Ayotte Presses Nominee on DOD’s Intentions to Address Excess Capacity outside of BRAC

  • February 26, 2014
  • comments: 0

New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R) focused on the Defense Department’s plans for reducing its infrastructure in the event Congress rejects its latest request for additional base closures, during Tuesday’s confirmation hearing for Robert Work for deputy defense secretary. During the Armed Services Committee hearing, Ayotte asked the nominee to clarify remarks Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel offered Monday during a preview of the department’s five-year spending plan. After noting that lawmakers rejected DOD’s BRAC requests in each of the last two years, Hagel said that “if Congress continues to block these requests even as they slash the overall budget, we will have to consider every tool at our disposal to reduce infrastructure …

Array ( )