image description

Posts Tagged ‘deficit reduction’

Last-Minute Change to DOD’s Spending Plan Complicated Budget Presentation

  • March 11, 2014
  • comments: 0

Confounding explanations by top Pentagon officials last week over what force structure levels could be sustained by the department’s five-year spending plan were the direct result of a White House decision earlier this year to approve a budget that exceeded the spending caps imposed by the 2011 Budget Control Act. Defense officials originally prepared budgets that complied with the spending caps for both its fiscal 2015 request and the future years defense plan (FYDP), the spending projection for the next five years. Sometime early this year — at a very late stage in in the budget process — the White House told DOD to plan for exceeding the spending caps from FY 2016-2019 by $115 billion …

Lawmakers Resist Pentagon Spending Plan

  • March 9, 2014
  • comments: 0

The Democratic and Republican leaders of the Senate Armed Services Committee last week both criticized DOD’s five-year spending plan for providing insufficient funds to sustain the nation’s military. “The proposal before us makes reductions in force structure and compensation that will be difficult for many to support,” Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) said during the March 5 hearing on the department’s fiscal 2015 budget request. Levin cited the spending caps imposed by the 2011 Budget Control Act as the primary obstacle facing the military, an assessment that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel concurred with and expanded upon …

Air Force Cancels Major Project at Wright-Pat

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

The Air Force has cancelled a building renovation costing between $5 million and $10 million at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, due to a lack of funding in the current year’s budget. The base’s announcement on Wednesday comes one day after the Air Force unveiled its fiscal 2015 budget request, a proposal which calls for eliminating more than 20,000 active-duty and reserve airmen and retiring more than 200 aircraft, reported the Dayton Daily News. The project, which was in its early stages, would have remodeled the 53,000-square-foot building located on the flight line, adding training rooms, offices and warehouse space. Base officials will attempt to gain funding next year, according to the story.

DOD Stuck with Sequestration, House Panelists Conclude

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

In the 10 days since Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel outlined the department’s latest budget and associated cuts in force structure, Republican lawmakers have denounced the spending plan while Democrats have expressed reservations with the proposed changes. But despite warnings from Hagel and other top Pentagon officials that Congress will need to reverse at least some of the defense cuts imposed under the 2011 Budget Control Act if it wants to avoid weakening the military, the prospect of lawmakers reaching a deal to adjust the spending caps remains quite low …

Staffing Level of Navy to Remain Steady, Personnel Chief Says

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

Despite the looming prospect of far-reaching changes to the armed forces, including reductions in force structure and adjustments to military compensation, the Navy will not be reducing its number of uniformed personnel, Vice Adm. Bill Moran, deputy chief of naval operations, said Wednesday. “I’m not anticipating having to cut people at all … The future is really bright for folks who want to continue to serve,” Moran, who also serves as chief of naval personnel, said in response to the first question during a worldwide all-hands call. He said the Navy expects to have a force of about 324,000 sailors in five years, the same as it does today …

Brigade’s Deactivation to Prompt Closure of Four Schools at Ft. Knox

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

In a sign of things to come, especially for Army communities, Fort Knox will close four of its eight DOD schools for children this summer due to declining enrollment stemming from the loss of its only brigade combat team later this year. The Army is disbanding the 3rd Combat Brigade, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Knox as part of its plan to shrink its active component end strength by 80,000 soldiers through the deactivation of brigade combat teams at 10 U.S. installations. The drawdown would leave the Army with 490,000 troops by 2015, a level which would drop further under the Pentagon’s latest five-year spending plan …

Pentagon Paints Itself into Corner with Five-Year Spending Plan

  • March 5, 2014
  • comments: 0

Top DOD officials had a difficult time Wednesday explaining to the Senate Armed Services Committee the logical inconsistency between a five-year budget that assumes $115 billion in relief from sequester cuts and the spending plan’s cuts in force structure they said could be avoided with the additional funding. On Tuesday, Pentagon Comptroller Robert Hale told reporters that officials included in its FY 2015-2019 budget a cut in the Army’s active-duty end strength to 420,000 and a reduction to 10 aircraft carrier battle groups. That spending plan assumes that a significant portion of the sequester cuts slated for FY 2016 and beyond would be reversed, allowing the military to avoid some of the most far-reaching impacts of sequestration …

QDR Builds on 2012 Strategic Guidance

  • March 5, 2014
  • comments: 0

The 2014 version of the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) released Tuesday in conjunction with DOD’s fiscal 2015 budget request updates the defense strategic guidance the department released in 2012 while highlighting the need to rebalance the force to carry out the nation’s national security priorities. The review discusses the rationale behind many of the proposals included in DOD’s latest five-year spending plan, such as reducing the size of the Army and Marine Corps, trimming DOD staffs by 20 percent, conducting a new round of base realignment and closure, and slowing the growth in manpower costs. Regarding the justification for a new BRAC, the QDR notes the department estimates it already has more infrastructure than it needs, an imbalance that will only grow as the military reduces its force structure …

Spending Up Slightly, while Forces Come Down over Five-Year Budget

  • March 5, 2014
  • comments: 0

The five-year budget released Tuesday by the Pentagon revealed a topline spending level that climbs a total of 13 percent at the same time the uniformed and civilian workforces decline by about five percent through fiscal 2019. DOD’s plan calls for spending $496 billion in FY 2015, a figure virtually unchanged from the current year, before jumping to $535 billion in FY 2016. The topline then would gradually rise to $559 billion in FY 2019. While spending would rise an average of 3 percent annually in current year dollars, the number of civilians and service members would fall under the Pentagon’s plan …

White House Investment Fund Would Provide Injection for DOD Facilities

  • March 4, 2014
  • comments: 0

Facilities sustainment and military construction would receive a much-needed infusion in funds in fiscal 2015 under the $56 billion Opportunity, Growth and Security initiative included in the White House’s new budget proposal. The “wish list” of projects is not part of the administration’s base FY 2015 budget, and would require Congress to accept a package of offsets that calls for the elimination of certain tax breaks and alternative spending cuts. As a result, the initiative, which includes $26.4 billion for DOD, almost certainly will not go forward …

Array ( )