image description

Posts Tagged ‘military construction’

House Panel Hopes to Bolster Pentagon’s Milcon Request

  • March 16, 2014
  • comments: 0

Lawmakers, surprised by the deep cut in military construction and family housing proposed by the Pentagon in its fiscal 2015 budget request, offered DOD some hope for relief during last week’s hearing by the House Appropriations Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee. “I haven’t seen requests this low for a long, long time,” said Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.), the panel’s ranking member. The $6.6 billion request for milcon and family housing represents a 40 percent drop from current year funding …

Farr Presses DOD on BRAC Cleanup Funds

  • March 14, 2014
  • comments: 0

Troubled by a steep drop in the budget to clean up installations closed during previous BRAC rounds, California Rep. Sam Farr (D) asked defense installation officials at a House hearing Wednesday to explain why the department’s unobligated balance for BRAC cleanup funds was so high. Farr said he had learned that the department had about $900 million in unobligated funds for BRAC cleanup. He was equally concerned about the fiscal 2015 budget request for $270 million for the account, which would represent a 40 percent drop in funding from this year’s allocation and a 64 percent decline from FY 2013′s allocation …

Appropriators Eager to Move Spending Bills Early in Session

  • March 9, 2014
  • comments: 0

The top appropriators for the House and Senate are intent on returning to regular order this year and enacting all 12 spending bills before the Oct. 1 start of the new fiscal year. Committee Chairs Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) and Rep. Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) met last week to coordinate their schedules for moving fiscal 2015 spending bills. Markups are expected to begin in the spring with floor action taking place over the summer …

Air Force Cancels Major Project at Wright-Pat

  • March 7, 2014
  • comments: 0

The Air Force has cancelled a building renovation costing between $5 million and $10 million at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, due to a lack of funding in the current year’s budget. The base’s announcement on Wednesday comes one day after the Air Force unveiled its fiscal 2015 budget request, a proposal which calls for eliminating more than 20,000 active-duty and reserve airmen and retiring more than 200 aircraft, reported the Dayton Daily News. The project, which was in its early stages, would have remodeled the 53,000-square-foot building located on the flight line, adding training rooms, offices and warehouse space. Base officials will attempt to gain funding next year, according to the story.

Cleanup Funding For Past BRAC Rounds Would Take Hit under FY’15 Proposal

  • March 6, 2014
  • comments: 0

Funding to clean up installations closed during previous BRAC rounds would fall 40 percent to $270.1 million in fiscal 2015, under DOD’s latest budget request. If approved by Congress, the recommendation would continue a steep drop in funding for past base closure rounds since FY 2013. That year, Congress provided $759.6 million for cleanup and other closure costs associated with the five rounds of BRAC. This year, lawmakers allocated $451.4 million for the BRAC account …

White House Investment Fund Would Provide Injection for DOD Facilities

  • March 4, 2014
  • comments: 0

Facilities sustainment and military construction would receive a much-needed infusion in funds in fiscal 2015 under the $56 billion Opportunity, Growth and Security initiative included in the White House’s new budget proposal. The “wish list” of projects is not part of the administration’s base FY 2015 budget, and would require Congress to accept a package of offsets that calls for the elimination of certain tax breaks and alternative spending cuts. As a result, the initiative, which includes $26.4 billion for DOD, almost certainly will not go forward …

Milcon Would Suffer Deep Cut under FY’15 Proposal

  • March 4, 2014
  • comments: 0

Spending on new construction would drop 36 percent under DOD’s fiscal 2015 budget request, as the department’s proposal defers many military construction projects in order to fund higher priorities such as operations and readiness. As a result, the proposal funds only the “most critical facility requirements,” according to a DOD overview of the budget. The FY 2015 request calls for $5.4 billion for milcon, down from $8.4 billion allocated for FY 2014 …

Army Corps Looks to Remake Itself, Chief Engineer Says

  • February 20, 2014
  • comments: 0

The Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) will need to refashion itself as the surge in spending on military construction since 2001 comes to end and headquarters’ staffs are required to be streamlined, Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick, the Corps’ commander, said this week.

The Corps “executed an extraordinarily large military program” in the last decade, worth nearly $30 billion at its peak in 2008, Bostick told the Army News Service. The work supported the 2005 round of BRAC, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act work in Iraq and Afghanistan, and other efforts …

Hagel to Provide Early Preview of FY’15 Budget Request

  • February 17, 2014
  • comments: 0

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is expected to preview the department’s fiscal 2015 budget request on Feb. 24, a week before the White House formally releases its spending proposal for next year, reported Reuters. Spending for defense-related programs in FY 2015 already has been set by last December’s budget deal at $521.3 billion, with DOD spending estimated at about $496 billion. The figure is virtually unchanged from the current year’s base budget. Still, the Pentagon faces many difficult choices as the spending cap is about $40 billion lower than the FY 2015 budget figure the department included in its long-term budget last year.

Army Corps’ Role Would Change during New BRAC

  • February 14, 2014
  • comments: 0

The next round of base closures likely will be much different than the last, and as a result, the Army Corps of Engineers will play a much different role, Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick, the agency’s commanding general, told reporters earlier this week. The Corps spent about $11 billion on new construction following BRAC 2005, but the next round will focus on disposing of properties and closing installations, Bostick said. “How do we reshape installations and make changes in the overall location of installations in order to maintain a force that is much smaller than we have today,” he said, reported Federal Times.

Array ( )