Communities responding to announced reductions in force structure and personnel can apply for planning assistance from DOD’s Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) to organize and better understand how the reductions may affect local housing, schools and businesses, according to a March 18 Federal Register notice.
States, counties or municipalities can apply for OEA’s community adjustment planning assistance if they expect to experience personnel reductions resulting in the loss of at least:
- 2,000 military, civilian, and contractor personnel in an urban area; or
- 1,000 military, civilian, or contractor personnel in the case of a non-urban area.
The OEA director must also determine whether the losses “constitute a direct and significant adverse consequence” on a community and its residents, according to the notice. In cases affecting multiple jurisdictions, affected jurisdictions would be required to apply jointly for a single assistance program.
Applicants would be required to provide at least 10 percent of the project cost.
Examples of activities that could be funded under this program include:
- operating and maintaining a community-based organization to represent an affected area and its workers, businesses and communities;
- preparing strategies and plans for sustainable economic recovery;
- carrying out a community adjustment and economic diversification program; and
- planning and carrying out local economic adjustment programs.
Planning assistance can be used for feasibility studies; organizational staffing, operating, and administrative expenses; redevelopment and economic development capacity building; public outreach; and other activities necessary for a community to respond to the adverse impact of defense spending reductions on local schools, housing markets and central business districts.
OEA will consider proposals on a continuing basis — subject to available appropriations — as an end date for this program has not yet been determined. For more information, contact James Holland, program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.