A new BRAC round could save the Defense Department as much as 25 percent of the cost of some missions, Jamie Morin, director for the Pentagon’s office of Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation, said Monday at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
But without Congress’ assent, DOD will be unable to reap the savings from eliminating unneeded infrastructure and succeed in its cost-cutting reforms.
“So it’s not a popular answer, but base realignment and closure is an important piece of this,” he said, reported Defense News.
Last week, Pete Potochney, acting assistant secretary of defense for energy, installations and environment, said the department estimates it could save $2 billion annually from a new BRAC, which the administration has proposed should be launched in 2019. Morin indicated a significant portion of the savings associated with base closures stems from the reduced need for personnel.
“When I worked for the Air Force, our walking around, rough-order estimate was it took 800 to 900 airmen to open a base, before you had any operational folks there,” Morin said.
He said that Pentagon officials were not happy with the 2005 round and emphasized DOD’s intention for the next BRAC to focus on efficiency, according to the story.
“A future BRAC round would have a much different financial ramification — even though the 2005 BRAC round is now paying off for the department financially, it was a much smaller scale of closure and large-scale realignment than the previous rounds, which yielded much larger financial savings earlier,” Morin stated.