Lawmakers Preempt Pentagon on BRAC

With DOD’s fiscal 2015 budget proposal scheduled to be released in less than two weeks, questions from reporters as to how Congress would respond to an expected request for a new round of base closures are on the rise.

In recent weeks, several lawmakers, including two Democrats on the Senate Armed Services Committee, responded that it is unlikely Congress would agree to a new round.

When asked last week how a BRAC would affect Central Florida, Sen. Bill Nelson (Fla.) told the reporter, “I’m a senior member of the Armed Services Committee from which it would come, and we’re not having a BRAC any time soon.”  

Central Florida is a hub for modeling and simulation, an industry that is reliant on defense work, reported the Orlando Business Journal.

In a separate interview, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (Conn.) echoed Nelson when the question of whether DOD would request additional base closings came up. “The requests are routine, but the verdict is the same. Any request for BRAC will be dead on arrival,” Blumenthal said.

During a Tuesday meeting of the Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments, Conn. Rep. Joe Courtney (D) indicated the House would block a BRAC request as well, reported the Day.

“The general sort of bias against BRAC is very strong in the House. Added to that, it’s an election year,” said Courtney, who sits on the House Armed Services Committee. “It’s hard to visualize that anything like that is going to move.”

ADC
ADC
AUTHOR

Posts Carousel

CLOSE