Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday that he expects a response soon from the Department of Homeland Security about how DHS would use military construction funds diverted from other projects to build a southern border wall, according to Military.com.
In questioning, Shanahan said he agreed with Northern Command Commander Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy, who testified last month that there is no military threat at the southern border.
Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joe Dunford, testifying alongside Shanahan Thursday, said, “It’s a security challenge, not a military threat.”
Democrats and Republicans alike questioned the administration’s decision to put some of the $750 billion defense budget in the overseas war fund to skirt budget caps.
Shanahan also defended the “very difficult decision” of retiring the USS Truman early and said the Navy plans to buy two more of the new Ford-class carriers.
Chairman Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said he was “not happy” with the retirement.
Photo by AP