Minimal flooding, no injuries and no major damage had been reported at military bases in most Southeast coastal states facing Hurricane Dorian as the National Guard began reducing troops over the weekend to deal with possible storm impacts, Stripes.com reported.
Virginia bases had not seen any major impacts, according Beth Baker, a Navy spokeswoman for Navy Region Mid-Atlantic said Friday.
“The Hampton Roads installations are faring very well,” she said according to the report.
Chambers Field at Naval Station Norfolk remained open while the airfield at Naval Air Station Oceana closed Thursday and Friday.
A power outage at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story left about 34 family housing residents without electricity due to a fallen tree on a power line, Baker said, but power had been restored, according to the report.
“We are looking at when it will be safe to open the port back up to bring the fleet home safe,” she said.
More than 26 ships and about 110 aircraft were evacuated prior to the storm, as well as more than 820 personnel living in low-lying coastal areas on and around the five bases in the region.
Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va., also issued a partial evacuation of the installation and was operating Friday with mission-essential personnel only, according to the report.
Photo by Abrey Liggins, U.S. Marine Corps