Top Pentagon Staff Face 20 Percent Cut, Hagel Says

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said he is considering imposing a 20 percent budget cut on staff for his office and other headquarters offices in the Pentagon to address the likelihood that sequestration continues into the future.

Hagel did not provide specifics about the proposed “20 percent across-the-top cut in our offices,” but indicated it would first go into effect in 2015 and would finish being carried out by 2019, reported Government Executive. The reductions would apply to Hagel’s office, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and headquarters offices for each of the services.

“Everyone’s got to do their part,” he said Tuesday during a visit to Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.

The announcement came on the second day of a three-day tour of four installations on the East Coast intended to address the concerns of service members and civilian personnel about sequestration. Hagel stopped at Fort Bragg, N.C., yesterday and is scheduled to visit Joint Base Charleston, S.C., and Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Last week, Hagel told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he hoped to avoid furloughs of civilian workers in fiscal 2014, but said the department may have to consider laying off workers. Furloughs of 650,000 civilian defense workers also began last week.

Dan Cohen
Dan Cohen
AUTHOR

Posts Carousel

CLOSE