Fifteen leaders, organizations and communities will be honored in Washington next month as recipients of the 2014 Defense Community Awards. ADC announced the winners today and will formally recognize them June 5 at the 2nd Annual Defense Community Awards Congressional Breakfast being held in conjunction with the Defense Communities National Summit.
“The committee was impressed with the high quality of the nominations we reviewed,” said Celeste Werner, chair of the 2014 Awards Advisory Committee and vice president of Matrix Design Group. “This year’s awards winners demonstrate the significance of innovation in defense communities and showcase the exceptional accomplishments of elected officials, public servants and military leaders across the country.”
Among the honorees are five U.S. senators and three members of the U.S. House of Representatives who have demonstrated leadership supporting defense communities, helping military families and veterans, promoting innovative partnerships and increasing installation efficiency.
“The recipients honored with this year’s Congressional Leadership Award have been champions for defense communities in their districts and states, and across the country,” said ADC President Bob Murdock. “Their contributions are part of a larger effort exemplified by all of this year’s winners — leaders, organizations and installations committed to supporting their communities and serving as models for others. We look forward to showcasing their achievements during this year’s Summit.”
The winners of the 2014 Defense Community Awards are:
Congressional Leadership Award
- Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine)
- Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.)
- Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.)
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.)
- Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.)
- Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.)
- Rep. Mike Thompson (D-Calif.)
- Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas)
Community or State Leadership Award
- Bruce Miller, Port San Antonio, Texas
- Gov. Deval Patrick (D-Mass.)
Military Leadership Award
- Col. Kathryn Kolbe, Hill AFB, Utah
- Steve Zander, Air Force Community Partnership Initiative, Washington, D.C.
Base Redevelopment Excellence Award
- Riverbank Industrial Complex, Calif.
Community or State Excellence Award
- Chesapeake Science & Security Corridor, Harford County, Md.
Installation Excellence Award
- Fort Rucker, Ala.
The Defense Community Awards Congressional Breakfast is an invite-only event for award winners, their guests and event partners. Sponsorship packages are still available.