In a sharp turn from its position two months ago, the Fort Monroe Authority last week agreed to accept the transfer of 313 acres at the former installation from the Army.
If Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) signs off on the transfer, the property — located on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay in Hampton — could be transferred Tuesday, reported the Daily Press. The conveyance includes the stone fort, Continental Park, Wherry Quarter and parts of the Historic Village.
The Army’s surprise announcement on March 28 that it intended to transfer the property at the historic post initially alarmed officials with the state and LRA, who said talks over the ongoing environmental cleanup, the border of the property reverting to Virginia and other matters had not yet been resolved.
“The idea of going through a protracted legal dispute, that would make it difficult to continue the momentum we’ve started here,” LRA Executive Director Glenn Oder said Thursday.
Oder said the Army and authority had resolved one issue, with the Army retaining ownership of many of the underground utilities until the LRA reaches new agreements with the service providers.
About 375 acres of the 565-acre post are subject to revert to Virginia. The LRA is in talks with the Army to obtain the remainder of the property.